Тhe history of the Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan dates back to the creation of the Central Asia labor-worker senior chiefs militia school in 1932.
Before the educational institution began functioning, there were two militia schools in Uzbekistan. Samarkand and Kokand schools. These two educational establishments trained middle and senior militia commanders. After a short period, the school in Samarkand discontinued its activity and Kokand school was moved to the city of Tashkent.
А three-stored building was allocated for classes. Training and retraining courses for workers and peasant militia, regular three-month courses and groups of police inspectors were organized at school. During the Second World War, the students were completed mainly with evacuated women at school. They were female division, consisting of two platoons. After the war, a two-year education system was established at school and there were accepted for training people with secondary education.
In 1947, a correspondence department began its activity at the school. In September 1949, the school was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Ministry of State Security and lieutenant-colonel I.Ismailov was appointed as a head of the school.
In 1950, specialization of the school was changed, here they began to train officers to combat the theft of social property.
In 1952, the school received the status of the Secondary Specialized School of Militia of the Ministry of State Security of the former Union, during these years it became necessary to provide the police system with officers who have a juridical (law) education. Persons with secondary education began to be admitted to school and in 1954, the first graduates were awarded diplomas of lawyers.
Subsequently, at school on continuing basis began to function primary training and retraining of private and commanding staff for all services of militia. A number of innovations were introduced into the educational process. The material base of the school was strengthened. The fund of literature was enriched; teaching rooms were equipped with appropriate visual aids. In the educational process, along with lectures, great attention was paid to conducting practical lessons.
In 1958, the school created a branch of correspondence course at Moscow Higher School of the Ministry of Public Order Protection of the RSFSR, since those years the need for officers of militia increased not only in Uzbekistan, but also in neighboring republics. In 1961, 48 people graduated from the correspondence department.
Three years later, the department was transformed into the Tashkent faculty of correspondence education. Three departments were organized at the faculty (special, law and social sciences) as well as a section of Russian and foreign languages. In September of the 1964 year, evening department of the faculty began its activity. However, the need for personnel in the republics of the former Soviet Union remained high.
In this regard, in 1967, the Tashkent Higher School of Militia of the Ministry for the Preservation of Public Order of the former Union was created. Major-General Tajiddin Azimovich Jalilov was appointed as a head of the educational institution. In the first academic year, 85 students were admitted. Apprenticeship was 4 years.
A year later, the school’s educational counseling centers were established in Dushanbe and Ashgabat. The main attention was paid to improvement the quality of training, enhancing the professional skills of internal affairs officers in combatting crime and its prevention. The work was carried out to strengthen the material and technical base of the Higher School, new buildings were erected. A territory was allocated for a military field training ground and its construction began in Tashkent region. Soon several buildings, hostels, students’ canteen, a parade ground, enlightenment and spiritual centre, a sports complex and other facilities were built at school.
In 1971, 32 first full-time graduates successfully graduated from High School. In the next academic year number of students were grown twice. Advanced training courses were transformed into the faculty. Every year about 200 officers were educated in this faculty.
In 1979, on the initiative of the head of the educational institution Tajiddin Jalilov, an advanced training faculty was established at school. The purpose of the faculty was to increase professional qualifications of the officers of the internal affairs organs and their retraining. During this period, new educational buildings were erected at school.
In the mid-80s, full-time and correspondence education faculties, advanced training, a special faculty of translators from Dari language (Farsi) and a faculty of engineers of fire-fighting engineering and safety functioned at school. Later the faculty of engineers of fire-fighting engineering and safety was removed from the school structure. Major general Nicolay Ivanovich Ozhiganov headed the Tashkent Higher Militia School in 1984-1992 years. During these years a special attention was paid to the improvement of training highly skilled specialists for the organs of internal affairs and methodical as well as logistical support of educational process was strengthened.
In 1984 N.Ozhiganov new academic buildings and hotels for listeners of the correspondence course were built and following year the construction put in commission. On the initiative of N.Ozhiganov in 1988 an original model of YaK-40 aircraft was brought from Tashkent Aviation Union named after V.P.Chkalov to the Training ground to conduct academics on releasing passengers from hijacked aircraft.
It should be noted in connection with gaining status of Uzbek language (October 21, 1989) since 1989-1990 of the academic year for the listeners of Higher School educational groups specialized to Uzbek language were organized. On the basis of the need position of Languages department was increased. Consequently, in the history of the Higher School educational and educational-methodical literatures (textbooks, manuals, dictionaries and others) were published for the first time in Uzbek language.
In the 80s of the XX th century on the basis of the Special faculty of the Higher School active work was carried out to train competent translators and advisers for the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Afghanistan. Since 1988 until independence, more than hundreds of listeners of the Higher School were sent to Russia, Ukraine, Republic of Belorussia and other higher educational establishments under the Ministry of internal affairs of the republics for study. Besides it listeners were admitted to study from other republics of former Union.
Since the independence of the Republic of Uzbekistan, as in many areas, fundamental changes has undergone the system of training personnel for internal affairs bodies. In January 1992, according to the Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Tashkent High School of Militia was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The educational institution received the status of the Higher School of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan. Colonel Ubaidulla Tadjikhanov was appointed as a head of the educational institution on August 1, 1992.
During this period, 14 departments functioned at school, academic buildings and classrooms were out of repair. The leadership and teaching staff of the educational institution were alloted the tasks of improving the education system, studying and introducing into the educational process the advanced experience of developed foreign countries and further developing the material and technical base of the school. On this purpose, a great creative work was started. modern buildings were erected, the territory was landscaped and ennobled. From year to year, the appearance of the educational institution has been changed.
In the beginning of the independence years, initial reforms were carried out in educational establishments of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. September 2, 1994 by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Academy of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan was established on the basis of the Higher and Special Secondary School of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
In order to create an integrated system of training highly qualified personnel for the organs and divisions of the internal affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan, in accordance with the Resolution, the main tasks of the Academy were:
– training of managerial personnel of the internal affairs bodies;
– training on a competitive basis in two stages managerial personnel for the internal affairs bodies with higher and secondary special education;
– studing of the problems of law enforcement;
– training of scientific and pedagogical personnel.
Over the years, the Academy has become one of the leading higher educational institution for training of highly qualified personnel for law enforcement bodies in our country. At the same time, special attention was paid to the training of personnel capable of safeguarding peace and tranquility in the country, devoted to the Motherland, to the official duty, comprehensively developed, with deep knowledge, physically developed, capable of adequately counteracting modern threats.
In accordance with the requirements of the time, the material and technical base was strengthened. New academic buildings were built, modern classrooms were created, special classrooms for profiling chairs, sports facilities and other facilities, and were reconstructed existing facilities. In the educational process were introduced modern pedagogical technologies, the classrooms were equipped with the necessary equipment.
Through the efforts of the professional and teaching staff of the Academy, hundreds of textbooks, manuals and courses of lectures were prepared not only in the sciences of specialties, but also in the social sciences and humanities.
They successfully defended their candidate and doctoral dissertations devoted to the study of actual problems of jurisprudence and other sciences. Their results were implemented into the practice of the internal affairs bodies. Special attention was paid to the exchange of experience and the establishment of scientific and pedagogical cooperation with higher educational institutions of developed countries.
Before the country’s independence, there were 5 Doctors of Science and 47 PhDs at the educational institution, then in subsequent years the scientific potential of the Academy increased significantly. As a result of consistent reforms, the training of lawyers with higher education for the internal affairs bodies, the system of their retraining and advanced training rose to a qualitatively new level. In the years of independence, more than ten thousand lawyers with higher education and leading personnel were trained at the educational institution. The sergeant staff training was also organized, as well as the effective retraining and advanced training of internal affairs officers.